The Association of Fraternal Leadership & Values is proud to support the House Directors and house corporation professionals and volunteers who play such a vital role in the chapter house and facility management of our undergraduate fraternity and sorority chapters. Each summer we host a national conference for House Directors and house corporation board members and leaders. The Fraternal Housing Conference is the premier opportunity for fraternity and sorority House Directors and House Corporation staff and volunteers to gain valuable skills and keep up with the issues that impact them in today's ever changing campus environment.
Whether one has ten years of experience or is just entering the field, this conference will provide each participant with a wealth of knowledge to enhance an already developed skill set.
A careful blend of lectures, panels, Q & A sessions, and networking opportunities provide the foundation for a rich and solid professional development experience. This conference encourages participants to explore the wide breadth of experience necessary to provide the best service to today's young sorority and fraternity members.
The conference registration includes educational programs, a copy of the AFLV House Director Manual, an opening dinner, two lunches, and a closing breakfast. Also included is an unforgettable tour of our host city. The conference education draws from twelve major areas of focus that housing professionals have identified as their key interests:
- Health Issues - First aid and illnesses; eating disorders; unwanted sexual attention; assault, harassment; drug and alcohol abuse; date rape drugs; germ containment; etc.
- Management Skills - Organizational structure; decision-making; developing goals and action plans; long-term planning; communications; etc.
- Personal Development – Resumes; networking and interview tips; contract negotiations; etc.
- Public Relations – Identifying constituencies (residents, members, parents, alums, advisors, university, neighbors, vendors, etc.)
- Risk Management - Fire and health safety; date rape drugs; MIP; drunk driving; providing to minors; and other legal issues
- Emergency Preparation and Management - Emergency procedures; crisis management; accident prevention; student health information; student privacy; allergies; medical emergencies; fire and health safety; and maintaining personal control in an emergency situation
- Managing Relationships with Students - Changing values; peer relationships; growing pains; understanding the students of today
- Identifying Resources – Making the most of the House Director Conference experience; placement-services; recipes; websites; conference personnel; campus resources; and co-conference attendees.
- Life Outside the Job – Self-health; community involvement; social networking; etc.
- Other – Throughout the conference participants will have numerous opportunities to bring up issues that are on their mind.
The educational programming at the Fraternal Housing Conference is the foundation of the entire experience. The conference faculty work hard to always present the latest in research and information available to support this unique industry. Since 2012, AFLV has included a House Corporation Track to cater to the needs and interests of those who work with house corporation boards in a professional or volunteer role.
Presenters include a deliberate combination of nationally recognized authorities in higher education and within the fraternal field as well as local experts on topical conversations and current issues having to do with fraternity/sorority housing.
This year’s faculty will present on topics ranging from those that impact the housing professionals and volunteers in day to day performance, as well as those that will stretch the minds of the participants. Our goal is to provide a foundation of understanding and knowledge to help the these important professionals support the varied constituents with which they regularly work. Ultimately, we want participants to gain skills to enhance their development and overall performance.
Conference Format and Style:
- Event Planning - Chapter traditions (good/bad); parent weekends; alumni reunions; homecoming; and recruitment (formal, COR, year-round).
- House Maintenance - Opening and closing the house; room inventory and clean-up; security; weatherizing; natural disasters; vandalism; etc.
- Employee and Supervisory Skills - Creating job descriptions; hiring, training, evaluating, firing, supervising, and working with the cooks, housekeepers, servers, and maintenance staff
The Association of Fraternal Leadership and Values is committed to excellence. Any grievance or complaint may be directed to any staff member or volunteer working on a particular program or event. Any staff member or volunteer who is unable to resolve a program participant’s complaint, is expected to bring the problem to the attention of his or her supervisor or (if the supervisor is unavailable) of another senior staff member. If the problem or concern is not resolved, we encourage you to bring it to the immediate attention of the Executive Director.
Use the Form Below to be added to the mailing list or to ask a question about the Fraternal Housing Conference (Please be certain to select Fraternity Housing Conference from the Drop Down menu):